Friday, May 23, 2008

Hope

I'm going to be really honest. I've been struggling with hope lately. I've found that since the miscarriage I just don't feel like myself. Typically, I think, I'm pretty up-beat, optimistic, and I've always found it easy to have hope in the Lord, easy to believe the words of the Bible. This week the Lord has been kind of in my face about where my hope is. What really upsets me is that the root of the lack of hope is unbelief.  When we found out we were pregnant it never even crossed my mind that we would lose the baby, I feel like I just trusted the Lord. So now I'm here in this very surreal place where I say that I know the Lord was (and is) in control, but I don't believe it enough to truly hope for healing, among other things.  I can tell you a million verses about hope, faith, belief, but I feel like my heart has become calloused.  
But in the midst of it all, there is hope! The Lord is reminding me that none of this depends on me. It doesn't matter how I "feel," His word and His truth are all that matter.  In a culture that has an aversion to absolutes, I can cling to one Absolute. The Lord has redeemed me and it is His work in me that truly changes my heart.  So my constant prayer is Lord I believe, help my unbelief!  I'm so thankful for the Lord's work in my life, because I know that it is only by him that I can avoid despair and "rejoice in hope."

Lord, I don't want to waver through unbelief regarding Your promises, but I desire to be strengthened in my faith and give glory to You, God, being fully persuaded that You have power to do what You promised. (Rom. 4:20-23) (from Praying God's Word, B. Moore)

Father, I pray that the eyes of my heart may be enlightened in order that I may know the hope to which You have called me, the riches of Your glorious inheritance in the saints, and your incomparably great power for us who believe. (Eph. 1:18-19) (from Praying God's Word)


Never Let Go

When clouds veil sun
And disaster comes
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
When waters rise
And hope takes flight
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul

Ever faithful
Ever true
You I know
You never let go
You never let go
You never let go
You never let go

When clouds brought rain
And disaster came
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
When waters rose 
And hope had flown
Oh, my soul 
Oh, my soul

Oh, my soul
Overflows
Oh what love, Oh what love
Oh, my soul
Fills hope
Perfect love that never lets go

Oh what love, oh what love
In joy and pain
In sun and rain
You're the same
Oh, you never let go

-David Crowder Band

2 comments:

GloryandGrace said...

This is one of the main reasons I am so glad you're blogging now. This was such an honest post, and I imagine it wasn't the easiest to write about such a sensitive, difficult issue. Praise the Lord that you are so aware of the work He is doing in you, and that you are clinging to Him even when you can't actually see the "why" behind what He's doing. Day in and day out, on the good ones and the bad, I pray that you continually press into Him, trusting in that hope that is found only in Him. I love you!!

BreAnna Fowler said...

You amaze me, friend. Keep writing!