Saturday, May 17, 2008

Church shopping

One of my least favorite things about moving is beginning the search for a church.  Although there are so many exciting possibilities with a new church, it's such a process! First, we have to determine which churches to visit, then we have to decide which service to go to, if we will try a sunday school class, what I will wear, where we will eat afterwards....okay, maybe not quite all of that, but you get the point.  It literally feels like I am shopping.  
A big part of what I don't like about looking for a church is the attitude that my heart tends to take. I feel like I sit in the service thinking about the type of music and sermon and people around me, I spend the whole time thinking "is this where we will fit in?" "Will we make friends here?"  In the end I feel like I am judging my fellow brothers and sisters, and I really hate that.  And even more than that, the focus of worship is taken off of the Lord, I leave feeling guilty and longing for time with the Lord.  
I'm praying that this time the Lord will put a right attitude in my heart. I hope that we can truly worship and look for a new church at the same time.  I pray that the Lord will put us in a place where we can both serve and be served. We were so blessed by our church in Louisville. We felt that it was a place that we grew and changed and hopefully were able to bless others as well. But, even as I write this the Lord is reminding me that it was a process to find Grace (our church) and it was a process to find our place in the church once we were members.
I know I may have just rambled a bit, but here on Saturday afternoon, Sunday weighs heavy on my heart. The search starts tomorrow, and I am so thankful that the Lord is the same no matter where we are, and He is always worthy of worship.

1 comment:

BreAnna Fowler said...

Ok, reason #2 to come back to Louisville...Grace Church!!! Ha, you are giving me ammo. Ok, I hear ya friend, we will pray for you tomorrow as you prepare your heart to worship. Love you guys!!!